So many of my darlings have come out of the Muskoka Novel Marathon 72 hour writing frenzy. I have taken part in this long weekend of novel writing 7 times now. 7! Holy crap. That’s a lot of writing.
Four of those seven darlings created at the marathon are now published and available for your reading pleasure. (-:
1. Sebastian’s Poet – Contemporary Adult story with a child narrator. Winner of the BEST ADULT NOVEL AWARD for 2007.
2. The Reasons – Contemporary Adult story with duo narration…one child narrator and one adult narrator (son & mother). Winner of the BEST ADULT NOVEL AWARD for 2008.
(I didn’t do the marathon in 2009. I was going to Kenya that year…and did not have the time to attend the marathon)
3. Half Dead & Fully Broken – Young Adult story with a teen narrator. Winner of the BEST YOUNG ADULT NOVEL AWARD for 2010.
4. Burn Baby Burn Baby – Young Adult story with a teen narrator. Received an Honourable Mention for 2012.
That’s 4 of my 5 published novels created at the Muskoka Novel Marathon. 4! I did win the marathon one other time, though that novel was never completed…so remains unpublished.
1. That’s Me in the Corner – Young Adult story with teen narrator. Winner of the YOUNG ADULT NOVEL AWARD for 2011.
Two more Muskoka Novel Marathon novels…
1. Alive & Kicking – Young Adult story with the same teen narrator as Half Dead & Fully Broken. It’s Book 2. It remains incomplete. Written during the 2013 marathon.
2. The Book of Your Dreams – Young Adult horror story with a teen narrator. Honourable Mention for the 2014 marathon.
Who knows. But I am writing something.
Which is WHERE YOU COME IN.
I need your money.
The Muskoka Novel Marathon is not only an event for 40 insane writers to camp out together while each of us writes a novel. It’s also a fundraising event. We raise funds for literacy programs at YMCA of SIMCOE MUSKOKA. To date, this marathon has raised well over $100,000.00 for this cause…but it’s not enough. With government funding cut to the bone, the literacy programs depend on the generosity of donors. The 40 writers involved in this weekend all collect donations on behalf of the cause. We are writers helping readers. But without you, we are nothing. In order for the writers to help the readers, we need your generous donations. Without them, we are simply writers writing at this weekend marathon.
I need you to click on the picture below, go to the CANADA GIVES page I have set up to receive donations, and give. Anything. I don’t need $500 donations. $5 will do. Whatever you can spare.
From the official MNM website, a bit about what the MNM actually is…
The Muskoka Novel Marathon is an annual event to raise funds and awareness for adult literacy in Huntsville and surrounding areas. To date, the event has raised over $105,000. Please see About the Marathon for more information.
I thank you in advance for your generosity. Together, we can make a difference.
I leave you with a couple snap-shots from last year’s marathon…
This year’s marathon is in 32 days. In 32 days, 40 writers will get together in Huntsville, Ontario, and attempt to write 40 novels over a 72 hour period. That’s about 2,000,000 words, if we’re all lucky. That’s a lot of words. And all for literacy. But our goal is not really to write a bunch of words. Our goal is to help others read words.
My part is the easiest. All I have to do is sit in front of my laptop and burn, baby!
(All donated funds go directly to the literacy programs. Thank you in advance for your generosity!)